Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Search for the NAKED Truth


When I first set foot at the University of the Philippines in Diliman in 1980, me and some dorm mates, mostly from various provinces in the country, looked forward to one "grand" event in the campus - the UP Oblation Run.

We waited for almost six months for the "big event", and in December, on the day itself, we skipped our English 1 class so we would not miss the run. At 12 noon, the Palma Hall was filled with students, yelling on top of their voices as the naked APO fratmen moved around the campus.

I had the initial shock of my life, seeing unclothed men, not just one but so many of them. At the start, we were so reluctant to look, so we had to cover our eyes. But out of curiosity we gradually took off the cover because we got irritated with the gays beside us, wrangling on who of the undressed fratmen had the "most attractive note".

It was really an eye-opening, and honestly one of the most tremendous experience I had as a UP student. The Oblation Run is a yearly highlight in UP which started in 1973 by the APO fraternity to protest political and social issues that beset the country.

Yesterday, I was supposed to relive that "experience" again. My dear friend David called me before lunch telling me to rush to the university grounds for the annual Oblation Run. My spirit and feet were all set to go, unfortunately, I was preoccupied listening to Bread's "sentiments". Besides, not one of my office mates would want to join me in this sensational run, well maybe because they are all devoted Christians and watching "this" type of show is "forbidden".

I regret not witnessing the run but anyway, there will still be runs in the next years but listening to my Bread was yesterday or never. At any rate, of the essence is, I live with the message of the UP Oblation Run - "Search for the Naked Truth!"

No comments:

Post a Comment