Monday, January 12, 2009

The SEESAW METAPHOR



The clever boy stood at the middle of the seesaw trying all efforts to make it swing. He struggled, pushed his body to the left and to the right but to no avail - he could not make it move. After several minutes, all his energy seemed exhausted, he finally came down and slumped his body on the grass.

This scene caught my attention while taking a walk at the park, and the poem I wrote a few months ago flashed back to my mind. It was about the principle of the seesaw, which does not move when the two ends are not balanced.

We often reckon the seesaw as an ordinary playground trifle, but it teaches us a lot of lessons in life, love and relationships. It is a metaphor in life.

When we are alone, it is so hard to keep balance in life. There is no one to keep us balanced when we move. No one is there to check us when we're wrong, no one to remind us that we are going adrift the right path. There is no one there to share our dreams, happiness and pains.

Although some stronger individuals are able to manage living on their own, it is delightful to have someone to go home to after a hard day's work. It is always enchanting to have a hand to hold when aimlessly strolling. It is always fulfilling to have someone listen and laugh at your jokes.

The seesaw likewise gives us lessons in loving. Any relationship has to be two-way, symbiotic - it has to be mutually beneficial to both persons to keep it going.

For some time, one partner may be able to compensate for the shortcomings of the other but this is temporary. No human being in his right mind will allow himself to be "manipulated" all his life. Although others choose to end it immediately while others choose to prolong their agony, there will always be a conclusion.

Both partners must give their share in making the board move, on some instances, one has to move down to make the other soar. And for both to appreciate the ride, taking turns is necessary.

The "right" distance between the partners has to be maintained all the time, because getting too close or too far may destabilize the relationship.

The boy at the park reminds me that I myself is trying to move the seesaw on my own. I am taking every step to balance my life alone. It is not easy but unlike the boy, I don't want to slump on the ground.

It is my heart's desire to keep trying as long as I could because I believe that one day, someone will come, sit on the other end, and complete the balance.

As I move towards the twilight of my life, I am still looking beyond - someday, my Creator will find the way, He will send the right man - right at my doorstep, so there's no cause for me to worry, I don't even need to search.

He is just in one corner, hiding behind the post, awaiting for the red light to turn green.

All I need to do is to wait steadfast despite opposition, difficulty and adversity.

No comments:

Post a Comment