Friday, January 2, 2009

Auld Lang Syne




Traditionally, New Year is a most opportune time to say goodbye to woes and usher a new life with renewed hope. And since it is a new dawn, it is a time to say goodbye to bad habits and make resolutions which are often left unfulfilled until another year is through.

I personally do not believe in making New Year's resolutions, for the simple reason that I never really observe them anyway.

However, I constantly assess my life and set goals rather than wait for special days during the year to make one. Personal transformation is not occasional, I believe, it is imperative. We set goals because if we don't, we don't move forward, but even if we set them and don't follow through, still, we don't move forward.

Resolutions, I suppose, are specific steps that propel us to achieve our goals while we are immersed in our daily routines for survival. Resolutions are about how our behaviors impact other people's lives and more importantly, resolutions are about our relationship with our Creator.

This year, like any other year, I will not be making any New Year's Resolutions. So every time people ask me "What is your New Year's resolution?", I am consistent with my answer - "Don't ask me, I do not have one!"

I will just continue to give thanks for all the blessings I was bestowed and look forward to more in the year ahead. Part of the blessings are friends who never forget, who always have a word of encouragement when life seem unfair. And of course, blessings would also include the pains and the trials that give me strength and make me more of a "man".

Let me then take this space to express my utmost gratitude to all the people who have made a difference in my life and friends who sent me words that enlightened my new year.

"Happy new year to you and your loved ones" - Bread

"I wish you today a day of special graces, a day of extraordinary things to smile about, and a day with much happiness and love in your heart! Enjoy the day with your loved ones"
- Pastor Vic

"In a few hours, Mr. Rat leaves, welcome Mr. Ox. Let us all together bow our heads and fervently thank the Lord for all His graces. May this coming year be filled with love, good health and the Lord's blessings! Wishing you wonderful days ahead! Happy new year!" - Lalaine

"Happy new year! Stay safe!" - Cristina

"Looking back, may you be filled with gratitude, looking forward may you be filled with hope, looking inward, may you be filled with peace, looking upward, may you find comfort, knowing that God is always there. Happy new year!"
- Leah

"May you spend the last few hours of 2008 wisely. Give thanks for all the blessings you reaped. Repent and be sorry for all the wrongs you did. Make amends with those you hurt. Continue doing good even if people don't appreciate you, you don't owe them anyway. Just think they're not worth your while. Lighten your heart. Smile and be happy. Have a bright outlook. Welcome 2009 with a clear mind, light heart and happy soul!" - Seny

"Each one's work will become clear for the day will declare it! (1 Cor 3:13)" - Irma

No comments:

Post a Comment